Thursday, November 27, 2008

It's All About The Bird Today



What better day to talk turkey than today. No fowl is more famous than the turkey. They are known for their big breasts and their stupidity despite the fact that they are not blonde. They, if raised properly, can also be very sweet.

Henny Penny is such a bird. She lives in a turkey pen at my niece's place with 15 0r 18 other turkeys. When I did my baby-sitting job, or rather chicken and turkey sitting stint, for my niece and her hubs last March is when I became acquainted with Henny Penny

When I was doing the walk-through with Laura about who to feed what and how and where to clean and fill the water containers for the chickens and the turkeys, Laura told me about Henny. A lot of times when you go into the turkey enclosure, Henny will decide that it's time for some loving and will fly up on your shoulder. If you aren't aware of this possibility, it can be disconcerting when a 20 pound turkey is coming at you.


As if on cue, not a minute after we entered the pen, here came H.P. She will sit on your shoulder and likes for you to stroke her breast feathers and she will go to sleep, cuddled up to your cheek.

Another thing you will want to know if you ever go in a turkey pen is they like gold shiny things... did I mention blonde earlier? The reason I'm holding onto my head is another turkey was on the roosting bar behind me that had pecked out my earring (thankfully she dropped it and I was able to recover it) and was pecking at the gold adjustment buckle on the back of my hat. And they can deliver a thump like a second grade teacher used to be able to deliver, back in the olden days before child abuse suits.

The other thing about H.P. ... if she's not had enough lovin' by the time you off-load her onto the roosting bar, she will come back for more. I just managed to catch this shot on the fly (as it were) and I knew I was in for another round of a 20 pound bird landing on my shoulder. (Better than 20 lbs. of turkey poop landing on my shoulder.)

Needless to say, Henny Penny is nobody's dinner today. My niece and I both love her and she's a good layer and cuddler. What more could you ask for out of a turkey. A "blonde" turkey at that.

I hope all of you out here in our blog-sphere have a wonderful and thankful day today. Thanksgiving is all about doing just that, giving thanks for our blessings, no matter how small, and one of the many things I'm thankful for is my experience with Henny Penny. Another blessing is being able to share it with all of you.

So all you good cooks out there, go ahead... Strutt your stuffing. Those of us who love good cooks will count our blessings and, hopefully, remember to thank those good cooks.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good morning.

7 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

What a great story! I know you have been busting at the seams waiting for Turkey Day to post this story. I would have been!
I would have to keep that one around as a pet for a very long time!!
Happy Thanksgiving, to you, your family and your roommate!!

kim-d said...

Awww, Helen, I LOVE that story--and I love Henny Penny! She is really pretty, even with all of the turkey-equivalent-of-blondeness :)!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...

Laura ~Peach~ said...

LOVE Henney Penny how cute... I woudl have drop shoulders from letting her sit there and cuddle... silly Hank loves to get up on my shoulder problem with him is he likes to put his butt towards my face so he has to get down... he also will still bite from time to time as the top of my head can attest... Wonder how cat would taste... OH never mind with all the food here he will get a nother chance...
Happy Thanksgiving...
No package yet...:( TOMORROW i am sure.

Tipper said...

A shoulder sitting turkey-amazing. Loved hearing about henny penny! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

Nola said...

Please tell me Henny Penny will be allowed to retire due to old age!!! She just cannot be on someone's plate!!?? If that was her fate I would have to buy her and try and get her through quarantine somehow!!!

Lisa said...

Oh that is too funny. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen a turkey sit on the shoulder of ANYBODY! I think I would need a back brace after her sitting on my shoulder for very long! Have a great weekend, and tomorrow, BEDLAM!

Reddirt Woman said...

Henny will not end up on the platter for Thanksgiving or Christmas. She will be gobbling back at me and my niece every time we walk to the turkey pen to feed and water them. How could anyone dine on such a delightful companion. And my niece did not teach her to perch on her shoulder. She just started doing it one day. As far as I know, my niece and myself and just last week my niece's hubs have been the only ones she has blessed with the shoulder visitations.

Helen