Friday, February 12, 2010

What Happened?

Chloe knew I was going to be gone for more than the afternoon when I got out my luggage to pack…

Chloe knows Suess knew, too…

Suess knows too You’d think that I was gonna be gone forever.  I told them I’d be back in just a few days but they don’t understand about birthdays.I came south to Fort Worth to visit with my family and do an early birthday celebration since my baby brother that shares my birthday has to work on Saturday.  I got up this morning and it was like deja vu all over again…

snow etc 013

That’s my little pickup…  at 12:30 a.m.   I looked outside and it was so light and beautiful I grabbed my camera and went out in my jeans and a tee shirt to get “just a few” pictures.

snow trees and street light

snow on trees and street light

I saw the street light shining on the snowy trees and I had to get my camera and see if I could capture the look of it to share with you all.  Then I would look and see something else…

river birch

And then look over here…

Jap maple with cross chimesAnd how about over there?

snow etc 020

snow on mailbox The mail box and then with my hand in the shot for comparison…

Well, Bennett decided he couldn’t stand it for me to be out taking pictures without him getting in on the fun.

IMG_2982a

(photo by B. T. Gardner) Gotta give credit where credit is due.

We took pictures in the front, then the back…

bird feeders The bird feeders…

chiminea and peach tree The chiminea and the patio peach tree…

patio table and chairs How about gathering around the patio table for a visit?

lounge chairs in snow There are also lounge chairs around the pool…

snowy birdbath And the bird bath that earlier in the day was being used by a morning dove to get a drink.  I didn’t have my camera at hand when my s.i.l. Diane yelled at Ben and me to come look… you’d see the dove looking around, then it would put it’s head down for a drink and you could barely see it’s back.

more fence Snow on the back fence… note the tiki torch on the left side of the picture.  When we decided to go back out front I grabbed my coat and put it on and out we went and what did we find but an elephant frog…

elephant frog This yard art frog that my middle Bro and I got for Ben for a birthday… there was so much snow that Diane and I decided that it looked like a green elephant. 

Ben got out his tripod to set up some timed pictures because there was no wind to deal with and the lightness of the night was too beautiful to pass up…

IMG_3070This was about a 20 second exposure.  I stood as still as I could.  This tree in their front yard is absolutely beautiful and we are praying that the limbs don’t break under the weight of the snow.  (photo by B.T. Gardner)

IMG_3066
Another timed shot, about 30 seconds.  (photo by B.T. Gardner) This was taken about 12:45 a.m.

This is another one 30 second picture of the trees and the street light taken from up towards the front of the front yard…

IMG_3075              (courtesy again, B.T.Gardner)

Ben setting up a timed shot Ben setting up for a timed photo… note the flannel lounge pants and an overcoat.  We know how to dress for the weather…

my crazy brother out with me Another of Ben that I shot.  He would set up his shot and then hold his hands over his camera to try to protect it a bit from the snow.

For the really big finish to this extra long post… one more that Ben took with me on a timed shot…  I’m still 64 in this photo.

IMG_3078

On Saturday I won’t be able to claim 64 any more but that’s okay since I don’t feel it or most times don’t act like it… and, like I told my baby brother, what a gift we were given to be able to share this night a day before our birthday. (Photo courtesy of B.T. Gardner)

Amen.

11 comments:

farmlady said...

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! Embrace the snow and put a heavier coat on.

hetty said...

Fantastic shots! Snow can be beautiful. Glad you and Ben were able to capture some of it. There is nothing like snow falling in the middle of a windless night. I swear you can actually hear it. Drive carefully and stay warm and have the Happiest of Birthdays ever Helen! I'll be waiting with the pooches until you get back.

Brenda S Okie in Colorado said...

Have A Wonderful Birthday!
Party Heart♥y.

joanne said...

bea-u-t-full!!! Sending you early Birthday wishes. Have a nice celebration and stay warm...jj

The Wildwood said...

What a site to see in the DFW area! I just love times like that when the wonder of it all still excites us like it did as school children! The photos are great but the neatest thing was you all were out in it in the middle of the night! Happy Birthday! Mine is coming soon too... Ugh!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Reddirt Woman said...

Connie it was beautiful and I didn't need a heavier coat. It was right at freezing, temperature-wise, but it was so still... just magical.

You are right, Hetty, about hearing the snow. It was a musical, magic night.

Bren I've partied since Wednesday. Went to lunch with my two Ft. Worth brothers and their wives and my sister and her husband and then that evening Bennett grilled steaks and his next to youngest son and then his youngest son, his wife and their first child (they are expecting a second in August) came for dinner and we sat around and had a really good visit and then woke up to a gorgeous snow. Drove back to Norman to watch the opening of the Olympics and today got taken to Outback for steak for my b.d. lunch. Home safely and propped up on the bed watching the Olympics with my pups now.

JoJo, thank you. The best part now is being home, that and not feeling any older...

Karen I totally agree with you about the child-like wonder and awe an night like that brings out in us. It is so great to still feel that excitement and be able to share it with my family and friends.

Country Girl said...

These are amazing photos! Look how light it is at midnight! That's what it was like here. So beautiful in the snow. And I love those timed shots. I need to try this.

Country Girl said...

And PS ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope I look as good as you when I'm that age. Wowza.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

beautiful pics and happy birthdays to you both!

Sharon Rose said...

Helen,
These pictures are beautiful!